Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Quick update

So, so, very sorry about my lack of updates on here. I still have so many photos to post but am so missing the time to do it.

Anyway, a major reason that I don't have time right now is that the girls have contracted RSV - Respiratory Syncytial Virus.

They came down with a cold (which is basically what RSV is) just before Christmas. Christmas Eve was a shocker with Sydney being unable to breathe well and waking up at 2.30am with a temp of 103 (which quickly came down to 100 with meds and the removal of clothing). She spent the night with us and wasn't exactly tripping the light fantastic the next morning but she seemed happy but tired. She fell asleep in my arms that day (several times) and went to bed early that night.

Christmas night brought Kendall into our bed with an elevated temp and general demeanor that wasn't her. She tossed and turned so much that night that I stayed awake trying to keep her from doing her (and us) harm on the bedhead and also on us. She didn't sleep well and also fell asleep in my arms the next day on a couple of differnt occassions.

Boxing day was spent inside with the girls seemingly happier. We bought a new humidifier but both girls were still coughing and having periodic wheezes.  One of the biggest issue is the snotty noses as they are driving everyone insane right now and basically Kendall is refusing to let anyone near her nose except for a blow every now and again.

Last night both girls woke up but I managed to get them both back to sleep again. Sotmr and I managed to get some sleep too which was nice. They also slept 2 1/2 hours today which they haven't done in a week or so.

I just thank our lucky stars that we were able to get the girls into the Dr today. Both were seen and tested positive for RSV. We have nebulizers and after a rather tedious time at the pharmacy (not the most efficient place to get your prescriptions filled and then I was going to be charged $235 per child for only one out of the three medicines that they needed). Fingers crossed we should be on the path to recovery soon.

It won't be smooth sailing though as we have a small issue with the nebulizer. It scares the living daylights out of the girls (especially Syd) and it killed me to have to force them to have the mask on their face. Syd had such a look of betrayal in her eyes when she looked at me once Storm let her go. I am trying to lessen the scaredy-ness of the mask though by explaining that the medicine is called elephant medicine (you know the mask is the trunk) and that we'll watch Elmo while we dispense the special medicine.

I hope this all works and these girls feel better soon. We're off on a plane next week and they need to be able to enjoy it. I want my girls back.

Will keep you posted. (Could probably do some posting as I'm up anyway - never sleep much or deeply when the girls are unwell).

No comments:

Post a Comment