Sunday, March 11, 2012

So very tired....

So, against my better judgement, last weekend we went to the Oysterfest in Rockport (about 1/2 hour away).  The reason it was against my better judgement was because we have SOOOOO much to do to get ready for the move and at that time we needed to get deadline over and done with.

But to the hell with it we both said! And it appears that we're paying for it big time!

The Oysterfest was held in the bayfront park with minimal parking (but they were expecting 30,000 people over the three days mind you!) and boy it was laid out awkwardly. We've been to a couple of festivals since we've been down here - one with the tents configured too far apart (Rockport Art Festival) and then there was Shrimporee. It was laid out well but the food choices were poor and minimal.

Oysterfest was cramped with no seating (apart from what was under the tent) and even though there were fantastic tents providing wonderful shade, the guy ropes were in everyone's way due to the two main tent's proximity to eachother. For a festival that was expecting the amount of peeps they were expecting they needed to create some more public space for the loitering people to (obviously) loiter in.

Oh and because I really need to vent about it here is my last rant about it. They (the organizers) came up with this splendid idea that all the vendors who were selling food couldn't sell anything that the other vendors were selling so despite the fact that there were 15-20 various vendors, the main oyster vendor and three separate tents selling beer, there was only one place selling water and soft drinks. Their sign was minimal and none of the other vendors were happy to advise us (the non-drinkers) of the location of this small vendor - of course that's if they even knew it existed in the first place!

Anyway, I digress.

The real ticker of the whole day was the fact that it was sunny but windy. As a result the dust and dried up grass was a'floatin' all around and ended up irritating Kendall so much that by nightfall she was coughing up a fit!

Sydney ended up coming down with a cough on Monday. Yay! What fun just when they were cough free for a week and a half - what did I expect huh?

So after a couple of nights of sporadic coughing and sneezing (but no fever - important to note!) with Kendall, Sydney really got hit hard on Wednesday night. I mean she was exhausted as she didn't stop coughing every 10 or so seconds the entire night. How do I know this? I spent the entire night listening to her struggle with it, trying to figure out what I should do. Humidifier, medicine? Nothing worked so in the morning we went to the Dr's.

Luckily we saw the Dr this time and not the PA. I love the PA though and think she is really good but Dr Almouie gives me a bit more confidence. He took about 3 seconds listening to Syd's lungs through the stethoscope and told me it was pneumonia. He kept listening at other positions on her back and chest and kept a-ha-ing about it. Yep, it was. My heart sank.

Kendall was confirmed as the same but she also has bilateral ear infections. God bless the child as she had not complained of anything considering how bad he said they were! My heart sank further.

The kicker into my already pounded heart was when the Dr told me that it was good that we had gone in on that day otherwise we would have been in the ER come Friday night with Syd.

So, two breathing treatments and two IM antibiotic shots later I left the office carrying both children to the car with orders to return the next day for another IM shot for each child.

How do you tell a child that to make an IM shot much less painful you just need to not flinch after you feel it go in? When I laid them down on the table for their shot on the second day both girls went into hysterics and it only got worse from there.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that on Thursday I came home from the Dr's visit to find Storm in pain and needing to get to bed ASAP before he got worse (he has a certain pattern to his descent into sickness so we know the drill)? So he worked on to get the magazine to print and then went to bed. More yays!

I made soup.

So, to summarize:
Two kids with pneumonia? Check
One sick husband? Check
One puking dog? Oh yes - this happened yesterday...puke all over the dining room and loungeroom!

And one very, very, tired mum. The nights have been rough and we've been sharing our bed too which (until we get a much bigger bed) is always rough because I always end up in a position that puts my neck out. So I'm one very, very, tired mum with a sore neck that needs adjusting. I gotta wait until Monday for that one though.

I take the girls back to the Dr's on Thursday for a follow-up. We will be discussing asthma prevention as Dr Almouie believes that it is asthma that caused all of their issues that we've had since November.

Yes, six colds in five months (now including RSV and Pneumonia!).

Yay. I hope South Carolina doesn't cause the girls to have these kinds of issues. Although the Dr did say that the fact that they were preemie and had immature lungs will only be an issue until they're about five. Fingers crossed. Until then they'll take meds.

So, there it is...my rant and evidence of my descent into the madness that is caused by nights of minimal sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment