Monday, October 26, 2009

The colours of Mt Charleston

So autumn/fall has now come to the valley - well Mt Charleston at least! A quick 35 minute drive from home and we find ourselves at elevations rivalling Mt Kosiosko (I know spelling...). We've never really been up there at this time of year (we really only go during winter time for the snow or summer to escape the heat and eat outside!) so we were surprized with the colours there. It may be a dry olive green colour mixed in with ochre and sandy colours too down here in the valley but up there there were yellows, oranges and reds. I managed to snap off a few shots but missed the light on some trees that were just amazingly yellow when we drove up. Very cool.




I found this view very interesting. It looked like a yellow flower lava stream coming down the mountain!


So we had lunch at the lodge (as usual!). Kendall slept while I fed Syd next to the fire. We passed Syd around while we all ate and took pics as we finished our meals. I had the coffee as usual for a drink. Man I love the coffees up there.



Out the front of the lodge are some small market stalls with native american (I know so p.c.) markets. Mavis looked at some things while I snapped a quick one of Stormy and then a couple of the two of them together.



Kendall needed her lunch on the way back down the mountain. We've discovered that the minivan is not low enough to be really comfortable to perch a baby on your knees to feed. Storm and I swapped a couple of times before Kendall was done.

While we were stopped the were some ratty (but nice in a desert type of way) flowers on the side of the road. I took some pics of them and also tried to get arty with the lens to take pics of a tree or two. I said I tried..!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment