Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 20 - The Harbour

So, my grandmother came up from Huskisson just to meet her great-grandkids by train. The woman is the other side of ninety and bless her cotton socks she still gets around. It was great to see my Aunty Ruth (that's what I call her) and we had a geat lunch in the Rocks area of the harbor. The Rocks is where some great old architecture of Sydney's roots are. Beautiful sandstone buildings have been wonderfully preserved and some have even been utilized as shops/restaurants. It's a beautiful place to check out the harbor as there's Circular Quay (where all the ferries come in), views of the Harbour Bridge, The Rocks of course and probably the most recognized Australian piece of architecture - the Opera House.


Feeding the girls at Cirqular Quay. (Just before this pic was taken this random woman came up and started talking to me right when I was talking to Aunty Ruth. She just interrupted my conversation with my grandmother to tell me about her twin grandkids. Storm and I have have taken to avoiding eye contact when we go shopping now as we get asked questions like - "Are they twins?" We say yes rather than "No, they're just sisters" or "I was pregnant twice in a  row and we stunted the growth of the first born". OR another one is "Oh double the trouble!" - you betcha. Or they come in to get a closer look which just freaks both girls out! Get away from my kids people!) Sorry, so off subject!
The gratutitous shot in front of the Opera House. It has to be done!
The same position from another angle to get a shot with the Harbour Bridge. Storm and I used to walk from our apartment in North Sydney, across the Harbour Bridge and down into Chinatown to get seafood on a Sunday. It took about an hour in all and once we had the seafood we would catch the train back and scoff it down. Yummo...I miss fresh seafood.
We had a counter lunch at the Observatory pub. Not necessarily the best meal I've ever had but it was great to enjoy some pub fare and a lemon, lime and bitters....
Just up from the pub was this...Kendall Lane! Aren't we lucky to have a city named after one daughter and a town AND lane named after the other? Wow, how lucky are they??? (I know, just run with it!)
This was our last day in Sydney and it was time to pack it all up and get our tails home. Sigh..What a trip. It certainly wasn't a holiday and we were so exhausted. The girls were great and we were really proud of how good they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment