I can't take them out shopping. It's struggle to shop with them when I'm by myself as there is only one place here in town (Centennial Walmart) that makes shopping carts with two seats in them and trying to balance a double stroller with one hand and hip and a shopping cart/basket in the other is a feat that I dare anyone to try! It's not a pretty sight as I've discovered only the one time (I'm a fast learner not to do it again!).
I can take them walking in the stroller but it really has been quite hot here still and if I'm hot then they must be boiling! (Also I feel bad to leave the house on foot if I'm not taking the dogs with me. They really suffer in the summer months as the timing between waking up-feeding the girls-and walking has become so tight that it's just too hot to take them out. I mean we could drive up there but it's still stinking and I know that they wouldn't mind at all but how fair is it to exercise in a fur jacket? The panting afterwards goes on for hours so it's just not right!)
I could take them to a mall and just window shop. Well, I am on a self imposed shopping 12-step program right now and needless to say I have always found the concept of looking at things that you don't plan to buy or have an interest in (say comparing it to something else you plan to purchase later on etc) is pointless. I know, I am hard core!
Another suggestion is that I take them to the Gymboree plan and learn sessions. The issue with that is that it's quite hard to remain "in a hug's reach" of my kid when both of them are going in different directions. Can't really comply with their rules.
As for a trip to the museum etc - well they're not really interested in that just yet and want to touch everything and/or put it in their mouth.
So, what am I left with? Now remember, Storm is working so I am trying to think of ways to entertain them.
Tried and tested #1 - BUBBLES!!!!
#2 - PAPER!
My shopping addiction has a plus side and that is that apart from my lovely purchases (sob!) we get packing paper and boxes to play in. It's amazing how one long sheet of paper can take up a half hour of their time easy.
#3 - SAND!!
The Galvins gave us their red crab sand pit and once it was filled it was all go for the girls. It's not going over as well as I would have liked. (Kendall isn't going to be a tomboy I think - perhaps a little prissy? I don't know you look at the picture). I'm going to keep trying to sway their opinions as Syd enjoyed it (the comb-over hair is unforgivable - blame her dad for that do!) and they'll get their fair share when we go to Hawaii (5 1/2 weeks and counting....)
and last one - #4 -Open the door and let them look outside!
As they get older I have to think of more things...perhaps I'll trawl the blogs and see what others are doing!
No comments:
Post a Comment