Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Up and running..well sort of

Yep, the one that we have all been waiting on has decided to grace us with walking..FINALLY!!!

I don't think I blogged about our pediatrician's appointment (18-month appt) where the Dr (not our usual Dr) recommended a neurology assessment for Kendall as well as a speech and physical therapy assessment for both girls. When our usual Dr came into the room (he had been running late but popped his head in at the end) he did not agree about the neurologist thing. He agreed with Storm and I about it being a "motivation" issue not a physical one. He's been our Doc since Day 15 with the girls and knows their personalities so understands about Kendall's hesitation sometimes.

Anyway, Storm and I decided to take a "wait-and-see" approach before scheduling any of the assessments. The girls are babbling and communicating to each other and say "Hi u-d" and "Hi o-ta" when greeting the dogs and duck, banana and thank you are becoming more obvious everyday. They recognize so many words out of their "Baby can read" cards and know a lot of their body parts so I'm not worried about that. They understand us so well so the speech thing is going to happen (but then I'm sure I'll post about how I cannot shut them up!) So I'm not concerned at this stage.

OK, back to the point of the post...

Anyway, Storm has been working with Kendall. He kept saying he was "going to break her" and before you non-farming people think the worst and call CPS, he meant break her like a horse. He kept pushing her and didn't pay attention to her tantrums or refusals to do anything and made her walk for a while everyday. It sounds rough and some days it was. She would fuss and cry and not stand but he worked her through it and lo and behold last night...

SHE WALKED!!!!

She went back and forth for several minutes between the coffee table and their snack table. She was having a ball! I got it on tape but still have to transfer it from the camera to the computer (actually Storm does this!) but I have evidence. 2 or so minutes of it!

So cool. Finally.

P.S. Now it means that she's more mobile and more prone to being knocked over by the doggoes. Syd has learned the hard way that when the dogs come near she has to go to ground and has a better chance of getting through the encounter unscathed. Kendall still has to learn this and my concern with that is that her new found confidence may shatter should she be knocked over too much/too soon etc. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment