Even though we don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia {I know it still surprises some people that it's not celebrated all over the world!} I still want the girls to have Thanksgiving traditions in their lives. After all, they are Australian Americans.
So, how do I start traditions such as this in our lives when I don't really understand the holiday itself? I mean, on The Next Iron Chef finale the other night the chefs were tasked with creating a Thanksgiving meal. One of the chefs did not use turkey at all stating that turkey was not a part of the first Thanksgiving! Who knew?
Not me! {Not that I mind as I am not a big fan of turkey - it's just not that popular in Aus}.
I've been trawling the blogs tonight {yep, the legs are up} and reading some wonderful posts about how thankful people are. I've also seen some great crafts they've created for themselves and their kids to do that help in perpetuating that thankfulness. The girls are too young to appreciate the stuff that's out there so I'm going to have to wait perhaps another year before we can do some crafts together. I think it'll be a while before I'm going to have to learn about the history behind Thanksgiving though and even longer before they will get turkey served at the table.
Yes, I don't do turkey. It's just not something that I care for. We're doing brisket - cooked in the smoker. So tasty. As for marshmallow yams...I like yams...I like marshmallows but just not together. Mashed taters? Who can say no to mashed taters but I prefer potatoes au gratin. Pumpkin pie...No. Pumpkin is best roasted and that's all I have to say on that matter. Green bean casserole? While I'm not a fan of this sidedish I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow. Kendall is such a fan of green beans and peas that I cannot ignore this dish just on that alone. Maybe I can jazz it up and make it work for my tastebuds that way. Mac and cheese? As much as the thought of mac and cheese used to make me go uhhh.. when I was in Aus...I absolutely adore it now. The more the better! {I love it so much that when I give it to the girls for lunch or dinner I secfretly hope that they're not that hungry and I can finish it for them! I'm a bad mummy!}
Now, in the spirit of thankfulness here is what I am thankful for-
- My hubby. The man who rocks my world and lets me know every day how much I am loved. It's a wonderful feeling to have someone as fantastic as him in my life.
- Our girls. Every day I am in awe of these two incredible souls. My life is so much more complete now that these two are running it. I am in the best plave and that makes me happy.
- My family. Even though we're continents apart we can still have conversations as if we've seen eachother the day before. That rocks.
- Our friends. Goes without saying I know. It's great to have someone to vent to when I need to vent {Kerri}. I am going to miss the adult interaction that I get on a semi-regular basis when we move to TX next year. Fingers crossed
-Our business. It provides us with a lifestyle that we love and it's only a matter of time before we can provide it more time in the near future. It's our baby too.
- Our fur babies. I didn't mean to put them so far down the list but it just happened. These boys are cool and despite the hair, tooting and the roughousing, it is refreshing to be demanded to provide love (i.e. brushing, patting etc).
I'm sure there's more things to be thankful for but it's getting late and my brain is a little fried. Happy thanksgiving to all our American friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment