Sunday, September 25, 2011

A bit tardy...

Yes, it's been a while.

The reason is that we're all worn out down here. Texas has been suffering this year with a terrible heatwave that has given us shockingly above normal temps. Friends of ours that live north of Dallas have had shocking loss of stock and between the brushfires and lakes drying up well, we're all ready for some respite.

So, when it came to the official first fay of autumn/fall on Thursday we were all hoping for cooler temps and so far have been bitterly disappointed.

This has been a very, very long summer for us and we're buggared. The humidity was as knackering as all who said it would be and even though we have coped with air conditioning we have not been happy. 

So that is why I am completely unenthused about posting much. We've been taking the kids out (mostly to the aquarium) and running a whole bucket of errands each week that seems to be sucking our time. A new friend that I met down here has taken up a bit of my time too. Her husband took his life last month leaving her on her own with a 7 and a 5 year old and no means. It has been a really HUGE wake-up call for me as I could really relate to her. She was originally from Vegas (moved down here 3 years ago), an older mother and had no family here. She really welcomed me when we first met and I felt for her when this happened (well anyone would of course!). She found him and I cannot imagine what she see when she closes her eyes every night. She's moving back to Kansas this week (where her family lives) and I will miss her friendship.

One exciting thing about the next few months is that our little part of the world is starting to really come alive with festivals and fetes. We're planning a few trips around the area which will really rock. Fingers crossed that the weather cools and becomes more bearable so that we're not sweating buckets when we are outside for more than 5 minutes. I'm sure that those we knew in Vegas are quietly chuckling to themselves about our struggles with the humidity after our boastfulness about weather schemther! Who knew that we'd have such an issue?

Pray for rain and cooler weather please. Even my fig tree hasn't started bearing it's second harvest of fruit yet. (I think it needs the cooler temps to trigger the harvest).

Cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment